Hey there, friends! If you have been a reader of Coffee With Summer's for at least a year now, you may be familiar with previous sweater swaps I have hosted through CWS during the cooler seasons. Last year I had hopes to make the sweater swap an annual swap, but after last year's swap, I decided against making it an annual swap after all. The sweater swap was a hit both years I hosted it, but I think it's time for a change.
There were a couple people left without receiving a package, because their swap buddy decided to never send a package. Talk about a huge let down! Not only was it completely rude for those people to not follow through, but it has forever compromised their word when it comes to commitment. It's one thing if something comes up and it's communicated, but it's a whole other thing when you just decide to drop off the face of the earth and ignore the fact that you didn't follow through. It's amazing how commitment (or lack thereof) can really show your true colors.
Because of this little run-in, I almost decided to not host another swap again. But after much thought, I decided that I didn't want to take away a fun way to connect with others all because a couple people ruined it in the past. I have a couple ways I'm going to improve my hosting skills, as well as adding in an approval process to those who sign-up for the swap before assigning swap buddies.
Since I am changing up a few things, I felt it was fitting to change up the swap topic, too.
SO, WHAT IS THE NEW SWAP GOING TO BE?
The new swap for this year is going to be called the "Mugs & More Swap". If you're a lover of mugs, this is a swap for you! I thought it'd be a neat to incorporate something along the lines of coffee to tie into the title of my blog. Now, you don't have to be a coffee lover to sign up! It's totally acceptable to be a lover of cocoa, tea, or even wine to sign up! The "more" part of the title will stand for the thoughtful odd & ends that will also be included into the swap package - bag of coffee, cute spoons, candy, etc. If this interests you, keep reading for more information!
HOW THE SWAP WORKS:
1. Sign-up! There will be a limit of 20 people who can participate in this swap, but I am willing to extend that number to 28 if the demand for it is there. This swap is for US only.
2. Once the sign ups are closed (or have hit the limit), I am going to go through and use my judgement to make sure that those who've signed up mean well and are in the swap for the right reasons. I want a year where everyone follows through!
3. Once I have gone through and approved everyone, I'll pair everyone up with a swap buddy. The person you'll be sending to is the same person who'll be sending to you! This way you can build a friendship through this experience. It's all about community!
4. I'll send out a general email to everyone participating in the swap with general need-to-know information before sending out swap buddy information. After I go through and pair everyone up, the emails will be sent out right away.
5. Budget: $20-$25 (not including shipping). I know this may sound expensive to some, but remember that you'll be receiving of the same worth, as well. What is mandatory to include in the swap package: a mug, something small your swap buddy enjoys (coffee, stationery, etc.) and a thoughtful letter/note.
5. When it's all ready to be shipped, ship it! You'll be required to email the tracking code to me and your buddy.
6. When you've received your swap package, post it online! If you have Instagram, it's encouraged that you definitely post it on there with the #mugsandmoreswap.
I'm excited for this new swap and I hope you all are, too!