This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, INC. and The Coca-Cola Company, all opinions are mine alone. #InspiredHydration #CollectiveBias
One of the most common topics that I'm asked questions about when it comes to blogging is photography. Photography is a huge part of blogging for me, especially since one of my main focuses here at Coffee With Summer is fashion and style. I always knew that fashion shoots take a ton of work and preparation, but I didn't fully understand that until I actually began to pursue fashion blogging as a main part of my blog.
If you're a newbie fashion blogger or even if you're simply interested in pursuing that topic at all, this post is for you! Today, I'm sharing some tips and tricks that's help you have the most successful blog photo shoot ever. Hint: it requires a good amount of preparation! Don't worry, it gets easier as you go on more shoots!How To Prepare For A Blog Photo Shoot Click To Tweet
PREPARING FOR A BLOG PHOTO SHOOT:
1. Gather Inspiration // Inspiration is where all of the magic begins. You could be inspired by the weather, the new top you just got, or your new favorite song. You could be inspired by anything! One thing that's been helpful to me when being struck by inspiration is to create a mood board on Pinterest. I have different secret fashion boards with ideas and looks that I would love to make my own. By having your inspiration in one place, you'll be able to brainstorm more fun ideas.
2. Plan The Date & Time Of Your Shoot // One of the first things you should always plan is the date and time of your photo shoot. Even if it's a week or so in advance, schedule it in. Schedule rain dates, as well if you can. Trust me, I can't tell you how many times I've crammed shoots and it's ended up raining or snowing. It's also important to choose a specific time, depending on the look and light you want.
3. Plan Your Outfit, Accessories, & Makeup // After you've chosen the date and time, prep your outfit(s), accessories, and makeup accordingly. If you have more than one outfit to get shots for make sure that you have every item for that outfit set aside for sure the night before. One pro tip: If you're doing multiple photo shoots in one day, keep your makeup very neutral to the point where you only have to switch out your lipstick color. That's typically what I do and it helps a ton!
4. Practice Your Poses // If you're anything like me, you might feel awkward during photo shoots. When I feel silly, it's usually because I didn't practice poses or get inspiration for poses. While not every one of my photos is posed, it's important to have a repertoire of poses to refer to. So, practice your poses in the mirror! Throw on a song that helps you channel the mood of your outfit and rock it out.Successful photo shoots start with proper prep! Click To Tweet
5. Charge Everything // Unless you're able to hire a personal photographer, you most likely have a friend or family member take your photos. Luckily for me, my husband and I both dabble in photography, so we have all of the good equipment that I need. Though, it's funny - he didn't take these photos of me in this post, haha. Anyway! Charge your camera battery and charge a backup battery, as well. Charge your phone and bring a phone charger with you, as well. If you're doing multiple shoots, I'd also bring a charged laptop in case you need to dump your SD card between shoots.
6. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! // Ladies, we should all already know how important it is to hydrate and stay hydrated. Not only is it key to being healthy, but it helps to give keep your skin radiant. Well before any photo shoot, I check in with my water intake to make sure I'm consuming what I should be. This is where smartwater® steps in to help me stay hydrated. One of my favorite things about smartwater is that it is electrolyte enhanced, which helps create a crisp taste.
7. Check Through Everything The Night Before // The night before your photo shoot, be sure to check through everything! Yes, everything! Even the things you think you have all together already. Here are some things you need to double check:
- Your outfits. Try them on the night before to make sure everything still looks great!
- The weather. If your photo shoot is outdoors, then you better check that the weather will be in your favor.
- Make sure that you set everything aside the night before, so that the next day you're able to quick pack up your bag, instead of frantically running around.
8. Pack Up Your Bag The Morning // Since everything should already be set aside, you'll be able to put everything in your bag(s) pretty quickly. Make sure that you grab a few bottles of smartwater to put in your bag! Being hydrated isn't just important before your photo shoot, but it's also important during it too! If you don/t have any on hand, stop by your nearest Target on your way to your shoot to pick some up. You can find them easily in the beverage aisle in the water section.
9. Give Yourself A Pep Talk // Ladies, let's get real and super honest here. It's not always sunshine and roses when we get ready for photo shoots, right? I know it's not for me. If something doesn't end up looking the way I wanted or if I wake up with a breakout... I just feel super discouraged. Whether you're having one of those days or if everything is going to plan, give yourself a pep talk! Hype yourself up for a fun, productive, stylish day!
9 Tips To Prepare For A Successful Blog Photo Shoot Click To Tweet
- WHAT I'M WEARING -
Are you a fashion blogger or a blogger who occasional blogs about style? If so, what are some of your best tips? What tips would you give to a newbie? Spill!