`This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WhatMattersToU #CollectiveBias
I know that I have mentioned a few times before that I have been a dancer my entire life. Since the moment I could walk, my mother says I would just twirl around the house and pretend I was a ballerina. All throughout my childhood and through high school, I was a soloist and company member on a competitive dance team. You could say dance definitely ruled my life, but it was all I loved to do and I wouldn’t change anything if I could. As I went to college, I remained dancing even though it wasn’t anywhere as intense as it was before. To this day, I am so glad to call myself a dancer, as dancing has given me immense self-confidence, joy, and comfort over the years.
Back in high school and college, my non-dance friends would always ask me how I was able to still dance and enjoy it when it was my time of the month. Truth is, the deep stretches I would do to warm up would help ease my back pain and any cramps that I’d have. In addition to my stretches, I am more comfortable than ever before as I have my U by Kotex® products to depend on.
I love the U by Kotex® Sleek® Tampons, because they’re super comfortable and because they have an exclusive anti-slip rubbery grip to help us gals out! The U by Kotex® Click® Tampons are perfect for keeping inside of my dance bag or purse, and though they’re designed small, they protect big! When you hear the click, it’s ready to go nice and smooth.
When it’s my time of the month, I experience more lower back pain and discomfort than I do cramps, but both are equally crippling sometimes. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the luxury of being able to lay around all day. This is why it’s important that I have these stretches to turn to when I need relief from any uncomfortableness I’m feeling during my time of the month.
Today, I am sharing 3 of my favorite stretches that help alleviate lower back pain and cramps. Now, don’t worry! These stretches are easy and you don’t have to be a dancer or even an athlete to do them! Don’t be intimidated one bit. You’ve got this!
MY 3 GO-TO STRETCHES TO HELP ALLEVIATE BACK PAIN & CRAMPS:
1. Lay Back & Extend Leg // This stretch really focuses on relieving the back from any kind of strain it is feeling. It also helps take away some pressure from your stomach, which can help ease the discomfort of cramps. Bonuses: Relaxes hamstrings and hips.
- Lay on the ground with legs out straight
- Then tuck one leg into your chest as close as you can
- Make sure your back flattens completely into the ground and that the other leg remains straight during this
- Then extend the leg that’s bent in and stretch it completely straight as high as you’d like
- Make sure the extended leg is directly straight in the air and not falling to either one of your sides
- You can use some kind of strap around your ankle if you cannot reach directly
- Hold here for as long as you need – I do about 20-30 seconds
- Switch legs & repeat as many times as you’d like
- Be sure to breathe thoroughly and remember that this is supposed to relax you, not strain you in any way.
2. Stretch Up & Over // This stretch helps alleviate lower back pain in an instant. It’s a super simple stretch and one you can do anywhere, which makes it a win, win for me. Bonuses: Stretches behind your legs and helps you find balance.
- Stretch up and take a deep breath
- Keep shoulders pressed down and chest open
- Release over and breathe out
- Don’t crouch or hunch over, reach far out and over
- Grab behind your ankles and bring your body in as close as you can.
- If you can’t grab your ankles, touch the floor
- Try to flatten back as much as possible
- Hold here 20-25 seconds, or as long as you’d like
- You can also do this stretch sitting on the floor – aka. the sit and reach
- *Make sure your knees are completely straight
3. One Leg Out & Stretch Over // This is my most favorite stretch when it comes to relieving back pain and cramps, as it helps cater equally to both.
- Sit with one leg stretched out and the other bent in
- Stretch up and over, breathe out as you do so
- Pull yourself as close as you can to the leg that’s outstretched
- Hold for 30 seconds to a minute and repeat on the opposite leg
Are you one of those ladies who needs extra convincing to get up and moving when it’s your time of the month? If you are, I have got some encouragement to help you want to get up and moving!
REMINDERS WHEN YOU DON’T WANT TO GET UP AND MOVING:
- Your period doesn’t own you, so don’t let it determine what you do!
- You’re worth getting up and active for. Don’t let yourself convince you otherwise.
- Exercise and movement can help ease cramps.
- U by Kotex® will always make you feel comfortable to do anything and everything during that time of the month.
I grabbed all of my U by Kotex® products at my local Walmart in the personal care section (super easy to find!) Your local Walmart can help you feel more confident and more “yourself” with all of your period care solutions. Your period is personal and they know that the ways it affects your life does matter. Make the choice for U by Kotex® at Walmart so you can save money, live better, feel confident and make every day matter!
Remember to use the SNIPP offer from 4/15 – 5/31 and earn some great rewards! It’s super easy to do. All you have to do is purchase 2 packs of U by Kotex® products at Walmart (any variation), text UbyKotex to 811811 and upload a photo of your receipt, and then go to UbyKotexrewards.com and register to choose your customized reward!
What matters most to you when you’re on your period? Is it comfort and relief like me? Or is it something else, like comfort food and rest? Be sure you share on social media with #WhatMatterstoU and let’s chat below!