This post has been sponsored by Modcloth. All thoughts are completely authentic and my own. As always, I only share about brands I love and know you’ll love, too! Enjoy! *Affiliate Links
I have always been a firm believer in expressing yourself through your style and clothes. I had my embarrassing stage in 5th & 6th grade of wearing blue eye shadow, my preppy stage in the 7th and 8th grade, and my emo stage in high school. Without going any further, I can assure you I had no problem expressing myself in how I dressed growing up.
Throughout college, I struggled with finding a style I could resonate with completely and it was frustrating at times. Over the past few years, I can confidently say that I have found my personal style. While my personal style does have a consistent theme, I do love to switch it up every now and then. I have learned that it’s okay to not have one set way of dressing. After all, that’s kind of boring!
Today, I’m partnering with Modcloth to encourage you to step out and express yourself through personal style. I first discovered Modcloth in college and fell in love withe the unique items they carry. They carry mostly vintage-style fashion, but these pieces are full of character and can truly be styled many different ways.
I recently got this fun olive green jacket from Modcloth and I am in love with it. I’m a sucker for earthy colors like olive green and I’m also a sucker for great transitional pieces. With summer flowing fading into fall soon, I know I’ll be wearing this button-up jacket quite often. It’s sassy, edgy, and rustic – talk about extremely versatile!
The buttons on this jacket are timeless and classic, which was the perfect bit of flare to add to this simple piece.
4 WAYS TO EXPRESS YOUR PERSONAL STYLE:
1. Have A Color Scheme // If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m one who loves to stick to neutrals and earthy tones for my personal style. The brightest items I own are royal blue and a bright peach. It’s rare to find me in anything bright and lively. Bright colors just aren’t my thing.
Now, I’m not saying that you need to only wear certain colors. What I’m saying is that it’s okay to only wear certain colors when looking to narrow down your personal style, haha. If you’re one who rocks the bright and vibrant colors, that’s super awesome and I give you major kudos. If you’re one who wears all the colors in the world, that’s so neat.
Do you have a color scheme? Do you have a color you tend to drift towards?
2. Dress According To Your Mood // Something I have done for years, and not always with intention, was dress according to my mood. If I was feeling sad, I’d wear dull colors. If I was feeling more upbeat and full of joy, I’d wear something pastel ora graphic t-shirt with a cute saying.
Dressing according to your mood is a great way to help feel your feelings and express them in a positive manner.
If you’re not one to dress to your mood, that’s okay. Try and dress according to the weather. This will help develop your sense of personal style through all seasons more thoroughly.
3. Discover Your Trademark // Back in high school, I would wear hoop earrings basically every single day, haha. Whether I was wearing a nice outfit or sweatpants and a t-shirt, the hoops were almost always in. Now, I never wear hoops and that’s a good thing, haha. Now, I’d say my trademark is probably my hair. That’s clearly not a clothing item, but I wear my hair curled about 90% of the time. I just love it that way!
What’s your trademark? Do you have one? Or have you never thought of it before? Tell me!
4. Embrace Your Body // The most important thing you can do to express your personal style is know your body and to own it. As someone who grew up being a ballet dancer and a competitive dancer, I was always in shape and loved my body. But through college and afterwards, I lost the body I had all those previous years. I have days where I feel ashamed that I don’t have the body I used to have. But I also love my body. I know that I am beautiful no matter what. Even though I’m starting to train hard again, I’m still accepting myself as I am.
When you know your body and you own it, you’ll learn how to love yourself no matter what. You’ll learn how to pick clothing items that accentuate your best features. You’ll learn what items you feel comfortable in no matter what.
Love yourself. You deserve it.
– TO COMPLETE THE LOOK –4 Ways To Express Your Personal Style Click To Tweet
What are some ways that you express your personal style? What’s your go-to trend you lean on? What’s your trademark? What’s one tip that you’d give someone to finding and expressing their personal style? Let’s chat!