Hey there, lovely ladies! I am so happy to finally be sharing this blog post with you all, especially my petite ladies out there. 😉
For those of you who don’t already know, I am extremely petite and short. I am only 4’11”! My entire life, I have had a hard time finding clothes that fit me perfectly and to be honest, it’s always an emotional and frustrating thing for me.
I feel like every woman out there can identify with the struggle of finding clothes that fit perfectly, no matter their size! But for my short girls out there, I definitely think we have some of the hardest times trying to find clothes that fit.
For the petite girls, it’s not just about length but it’s also about frame, fit, and proportions. It can be a struggle! I could go on for days about sizing issues (and maybe one day I will), but for now, let’s focus in on one main topic today: maxi dresses!How To Wear A Maxi Dress When You're Petite Click To Tweet
How To Wear A Maxi Dress When You’re Petite:
1. Solid Colors Are The Way To Go // When you’re short and petite, it’s best to stick to solid colors for your maxi dresses. Anything too busy or bold could have a shortening effect on you. For example, color-blocked maxi dresses where the top half is one color and the skirt part is another color probably is not the best option for short ladies. Why so? It cuts your body into sections and when you’re petite, you want to focus on elongating your body the best you can!
2. Try Smaller Prints Proportional To Your Body // If you’re one who likes to jazz up your look more than the solid color, try choosing a smaller print to play around with. You’ll want to avoid medium-large prints of any kind because they can overwhelm your petite frame. I think smaller floral print maxi dresses are beautiful on petite ladies – I’m currently on the lookout for one!
A Short Girl's Guide To: MAXI DRESSES Click To Tweet
3. Pay Attention To The Length // If you’re a short lady like me, you probably already know that length is the toughest part about finding a maxi dress that works with your petite self. It can be frustrating! When buying online, always check the dimensions. Even though 99% of the time the smallest size still has an enormous length, there are ways you can adjust the dress to your size. Sometimes the length on-site is just general, meaning it’s one length no matter the size. Pay attention to those details. The super comfy maxi dress I’m wearing here online says it’s about 55 inches in length total… not the case! I bought an XS and the dress was taller than me, haha. Yep, taller! I’m 59 inches and this dress was easily 60 inches.
4. When In Doubt, Knot It Out // The maxi dress I’m wearing in this post was one that was way too long for me, even with 4-inch heels on! I don’t know how to hem (though, I should learn), so my favorite way to rock a casual maxi dress is to knot it at the bottom. It’s simple and easy to do. It can take a couple tries to get the hang of it, especially since you’ll be dealing with a larger knot than most. Let me know if you want me to do a quick video tutorial on how I tie mine. 🙂
5. Add Heels Or Wedges // I will always encourage my fellow shorties to always wear heels or wedges when rocking a maxi dress! Wearing the right maxi can make you look taller and when you wear a good-sized heel to the mix, you’ll look even taller! I’m definitely a wedges over heels girl any day and the ones I’m wearing here are my new favorites! They come in 9 different colors and they’re on SALE right now! Go grab them!
I’m wearing the color neutral. 🙂
6. Stay Away From Horizontal Stripes // Horizontal striped maxis are not for petite ladies. Horizontal patterns, in general, only shorten your frame. That’s no fun for us! I have seen some petite girls pull off very thin horizontal striped maxis before, so it’s all preference, but definitely try those on in-store if you’re wanting to brave it out.
SHOP THE POST:
7. Necklines Are Important // It can be easy to get caught up focusing on just the length and pattern of a maxi, but the necklines are important, too! If you’re petite, a scoop neck or v-neck maxi is the way to go. This opens up your chest area a bit. A maxi with a high neckline or one that has too sharp of a straight neckline isn’t the most flattering to a petite frame.
8. Cinch At The Waist // For short ladies, it can be easy to get lost in a maxi dress and this is why it’s important to accentuate your frame in the right places. Cinching your dress at your waist will always be your best bet. If you have a maxi that doesn’t have the waistline gathered already, try adding a slim belt to it. Maxi dresses that have no defined waistline are not a petite girl’s friend at all – you don’t want to look like you’re wearing a huge bag. 😉
8 Tips To Rock A Maxi Dress If You're Short Click To Tweet
Petite ladies! I hope this was helpful to you. I totally get the struggle you go through. It can be a rollercoaster! If you have any favorite maxi dresses, let me know where you got it. Let’s chat!