I’m so happy that YOU are here to celebrate with me today! Six years ago, I launched Coffee With Summer with a fiery passion in my heart and fresh coffee in hand. I didn’t know it at the time but the decision to launch CWS would change my life in so many beautiful ways…
It’s crazy to look back at the early days of CWS. I actually started my blogging journey on Tumblr back in high school. Back then, blogging was more of a journal or venting place for me and my teen years and all the challenges that come with those years. I connected with so many incredible people there and many told me that they admired my commitment to authenticity and transparency. After growing my community there to over 40,000 in a couple of years, I thought it’d be best to start a *real* blog where I could share my heart with even more people. And that’s when CWS first started brewing!
BLOGGING HAS CHANGED MY LIFE…
And I am so grateful for it. It’s impossible for me to list all of the ways that blogging has changed my life but here are just a few that really have rocked my world.
- I solidified my voice. I always had the drive to share my life, heart, and truth with others in a raw and real way. I think that everyone craves honesty and transparency, so that’s what I give and live out here. It can be uncomfortable at times and sometimes sticking to your true voice is awkward and challenging… but it’s always the right thing to do.
- I have a deep, genuine community here. I have always wanted to connect with others on a deep level and blogging has made that possible. I have met some of the most incredible people through blogging… from dedicated readers (you!) to some of my best friends who are also bloggers. I am beyond grateful for the friendships and connections I’ve made all because of blogging.
- I have my dream career. If you told me back in high school that I would end up being a professional blogger, I wouldn’t have believed you. When CWS began, I had NO clue that blogging could even be a career, never mind the fact that you could make any kind of money from it. After my first year of blogging here, I fell more in love with it than I ever imagined. And then I dreamed. And started working my butt off. And now, I have been blogging full-time for over 3 years. And even better?! I get to be a stay at home mama and I get to work, too.
SOME OF MY BLOGGING JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS SO FAR…
- I have gotten to work with some of my all-time favorite brands over the years. Aerie, Ford, and ULTA are just a quick few to name!
- I have gotten paid to travel to Nashville, TN (such a dream!), as well as NYC a few different times. I also got to collaborate with Walt Disney World.
- I was interviewed for 2 different podcasts.
- I was the main speaker at an event about Instagram & Photography the other year.
- I wrote an e-book, contributed to a creative magazine, and have coached new bloggers.
These opportunities weren’t handed to me. I worked my butt off for them. Blogging may look curated and easy but that’s part of the job – to create beautiful, seamless work. I can assure you, blogging is just as hard as any other job out there.
BLOGGING IS HARD WORK.
As a blogger and more specifically, a full-time blogger, I’m always asked a ton of questions about how to start a blog and make money with it. My answer? It does NOT happen overnight and it is HARD work. It’s also NOT for everyone. I also have tons of people who want to start a blog or who are beginners asking me to help them.
Here’s the thing, as much as I wish I could help everyone, I simply can’t. I have offered blog coaching in the past (and may in the future again), but my experience has been that many people just want help for free. As someone who has figured most everything out on her own, I can’t just hand over all of my years of blogging knowledge for free. No expert can do that.
Some of you may be wondering why I’m including this snippet here. I’m including it because I want to encourage others to do the work themselves. I always get comments like, “you’re so lucky you get to blog full-time” and “wow, I wish I could live the dream like you do.” Comments like this severely diminish the work that I have put in and they sadly show that some may think less of me because I’m able to pursue my dream. It’s no cakewalk, that’s for sure. People only see the finished product… not the hours, tears, frustration, negotiation, starting over from scratch, and so on…
I’m just one example of a dreamer who decided to make it happen, despite all odds.
If you want something, you will work for it.
IT’S TIME FOR A REFRESHED FOCUS FOR COFFEE WITH SUMMER…
So, I’m just going to dive right into it, friends! Remember when I said I never wanted to become a “mommy blogger”…? Well, I still don’t want to be a mommy blogger in the sense that the only thing I’d blog about would be motherhood and so on. BUT! Surprise… I am definitely blogging more about my motherhood journey that I ever thought I would.
It’s funny to look back even just a couple of weeks before Taya was born. I remember talking on Instagram Stories about how not much would change for CWS but wow, was I a bit clueless, haha. Blogging has always been a dream of mine ever since I launched CWS six years ago. But, becoming a mother has always been my first dream.
It’s so hard to try and put all of my feelings into words here, so try to be patient with me. I always knew I’d be passionate about being a mother and raising my babies but WOW, that passion really didn’t kick in fully until Taya was in my arms.
I have always been a “lifestyle blogger” and a huge part of that title is that my blog gets to go through life changes as I do. CWS has gone through my life seasons of engagement/wedding planning, marriage, and pursuing my blogging dreams.
Now, it’s time for my blog to get another refreshed focus as I have embarked on one of my greatest journeys yet… motherhood.
Choosing to be authentic and transparent has always been the right choice for not only my brand but also for myself and how I live my life. I don’t plan on stopping either.
So, what does this mean for CWS?
Motherhood will definitely be a huge focus for CWS from here on out. I know many of you have probably picked up on this over the past few months, haha. It’s hard for me to NOT blog and talk about Taya and my life as a mama. Don’t worry, though! I will still be blogging about self-care and self-improvement, as well as affordable lifestyle – whether that be fashion, beauty, or travel.
Thank you for being a part of the Coffee With Summer community and for being in my corner. 🙂 Thank you for celebrating my 6 Year Blogiversary with me! I am so grateful for you! Here’s to another six years!