Oh my goodness, y’all – I have been the busiest I have ever been in a long time lately. Even though I’m busy, the one thing I won’t miss out on is self-care. Self-care is not optional.
[bctt tweet=”Self-care is NOT optional. It is a necessity. ” username=”SummerTelban”]
This has been by far one of the busiest years I have had yet. At the start of the year, my husband landed a new (and totally awesome) job and by February, we moved. Moving took a lot more out of us and a ton more time than I had originally thought. We’re just now almost completely unpacked. March was a breeze, filled with tons of traveling to and from Massachusetts a couple of times for my sister’s baby showers. And now we’re in April… The busiest month of the year for me. I am busier now than I am around the holidays! Thankfully, I’m busy for good reasons.
The first week this month, I had my best friend’s bridal shower and a ton of planning and preparation in the works for the rest of the month. My sister’s due date was April 5th, but the baby decided he wanted to show up late on the 11th, so that caused a lot of unknown in plans for a couple of weeks. Babies come when they want to, haha! The second week, I judged a dance competition and then traveled home to meet my nephew on Easter weekend. On Easter, I drove up to Rochester, New York to get my hair colored by my amazing mother-in-law, and on Wednesday I drove back to Pennsylvania. Then on Thursday, I drove down to my best friend’s to help set up for her wedding that was this past Saturday! SO I’ve been crazy busy, haha.
Even though this month is incredibly busy for me, I’m still finding ways to work in self-care into this busy season of mine. Self-care is not optional for me, and it shouldn’t be for you either. I know many people who use busyness as an excuse to not care for themselves properly, and it seriously breaks my heart. If you’re too busy to focus some time on self-care, then it’s time you reprioritize your life.
[bctt tweet=”How To Practice Self-Care When You’re Busy” username=”SummerTelban”]
Related Reading: How To Reduce Stress When Life Is Busy
Today, I’m sharing some tips and practices that have helped me stay true to proper self-care in my life, even though I’m busy. It’s my hope that at least one of these tips can help you! Self-care is necessary.
HOW TO PRACTICE SELF-CARE WHEN YOU’RE BUSY:
1. Start With Your Needs // Sometimes self-care is participating in activities you love for fun, and but most times, it’s checking in on areas of need. When you’re busy, start by focusing on your needs. Do you need more sleep? Try going to sleep earlier or catching a nap. Do you need a long, relaxing shower? Check-in and be honest with yourself.
2. Focus On The Basics // Getting proper sleep, eating well, and exercising regularly are all self-care basics. When you’re busy and on-the-go, make sure you’re checking in with your basic everyday needs. Be in tune with your feelings, emotionally and physically. Pay attention to your health. Be proactive!
[bctt tweet=”When zoning in on self-care, focus on the basics & on what you need the most. ” username=”SummerTelban”]
3. Be In The Now // When you’re in a busy season, it’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everything going on around you. For me, I naturally tend to look ahead and even start to worry about certain events. That does nothing but stress me out. Anyone else like this, too? We’ve got to focus on the present and be in the now. 100%.
PIN ME FOR LATER!
4. Take Deep Breaths // Whenever I get overwhelmed, I focus on my breathing. Deep breaths can be the difference between freaking out over something or letting something that’s out of your control. Deep breaths aren’t just for the moments of overwhelm, they’re also for the moments when you finally catch your breath and feel at ease. There’s something calming about taking deep breaths that help you reset.
[bctt tweet=”Remember: BREATHE!” username=”SummerTelban”]
5. Unplug From Electronics For An Hour // Electronics are some of the greatest distractions out there, especially to our self-care. So, turn off your cell phone and TV for at least one hour whenever you can. I have found that unplugging for an hour whenever I’m able to during this busy season, that I’m able to feel more relaxed and less pressure.
6. Ask For Help // While I have been busy driving all over the place, I have also been busy at home. I’m not one who always likes to ask for help, but in these busy times, I have learned that it’s completely necessary to ask for help. My husband has been helping me out with anything I need at home and he’s really been amazing at it. If you need help, ask for it! Reach out to a friend and see if they can help take some stress off of you.
7. Schedule It In // When you’re a busy bee, the truth is unless you schedule self-care into your schedule, it won’t happen. So, schedule it in. It doesn’t have to be some crazy long ritual. It could be a nice 10-15 minute bath or 10-minute conversation with a family member on the phone. Even if it’s just 15 minutes of laying on your bed resting, schedule it in.
[bctt tweet=”7 Tips To Practice Self-Care When You’re Busy ” username=”SummerTelban”]
Are you a busy bee? What keeps you from self-care when you’re in a busy season? Are you good at keeping self-care a priority in your life even when you’re busy? If so, spill your secrets! Let’s chat!